Saturday, October 6, 2012

On Tough times


As some of you are aware, a friend of mine was involved in an accident where he lost both of his parents. He has a long road to recovery ahead but he will be okay.  I cannot do the story the justice Ami does in his post nor do I feel it is my place.

My parents became religious shortly after the death of one my sister’s friends. He was 13 when he passed from Leukemia. I didn’t really know Eric (my sister is 5 years older than me, I was 5 when Eric was first diagnosed).  I remember spending hours in the backroom of a pharmacy while my mom helped organize bone marrow testing drives; time spent in the back of the car taking my sister to and from CHOP in Philly and going to his grandparents when he was in remission (he had all the fun gaming systems, again we are talking the memory of a 5-6 year old here).

My parents’ drive to become religious was because they felt they needed to “do something to make sense of the tragedy that occurred”. I was 8, I didn’t quite understand what they meant; I just knew Eric was gone and my sister was completely a different person. My sister rejected God at that point and though offered scholarships to Jewish high schools went to public school. My brother and I were encouraged to take up “new mitzvoth”.  In addition, our schools were switched (another long post so I will stop the rant here).

With my friend, I find myself in a similar situation to that of what my parents must have felt.  I want to fix things and do something. To be honest, I have always envied the relationships my friends appear to have with their families.  The idea of a “good family” is one that has always been well foreign to me.  For better or worse, while my parents may have been married, I grew up in a broken home with two people that really didn’t like each other or work well as a team. They used their children as wedges to cause conflict and seemingly strengthen their positions over each other. 

My personal feeling from this is I want to attempt to repair some of the damage my parents have done. My family is complicated and its issues are too.  28+ years of mind games and family dramas will do that to anyone.  I know our relationships will never be perfect but we could do with less drama and be something that resembles a family.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was really a fascinating subject, I am very lucky to have the ability to come to your weblog and I will bookmark this page in order that I might come back one other time.

Anonymous said...

Very well written post. It will be valuable to anybody who utilizes it, as well as myself. Keep doing what you are doing – for sure i will check out more posts.

Anonymous said...

hey hey!! this is a very nice website here and I just wanted to comment & say that you've done a great job here! Very nice choice of colors & layout, very easy on the eyes.. Nicely done!…

Anonymous said...

Straight to the point and well written! Why can't everyone else be like this?

Unknown said...

Hi TheNerd0584 - I just read your latest blog post, which i really enjoyed reading. I am a producer for HuffPost live (the streaming network for the huffington post) live.huffingtonpost.com and I am producing a segment tomorrow on parents becoming religious later in life. I think you would be a great addition to our conversation. would you be interested in joining us for our segment? its at 12pm PST 3pm EST. All of our guests join us via google hangout (Works similarly to skype) - the discussion lasts for 20-30 min and will be moderated by our host Janet Varney.

Please let me know what you think at my email sarah.bigle@huffingtonpost.com thank you!

I look forward to hearing from you!

Unknown said...

Hi TheNerd0584 - I just read your latest blog post, which i really enjoyed reading. I am a producer for HuffPost live (the streaming network for the huffington post) live.huffingtonpost.com and I am producing a segment tomorrow on parents becoming religious later in life. I think you would be a great addition to our conversation. would you be interested in joining us for our segment? its at 12pm PST 3pm EST. All of our guests join us via google hangout (Works similarly to skype) - the discussion lasts for 20-30 min and will be moderated by our host Janet Varney.

Please let me know what you think at my email sarah.bigle@huffingtonpost.com thank you!

I look forward to hearing from you!

megan blogs said...

If you want to repair some of the damage, start with yourself. My feeling on the drama mamas is this: they want the drama so they can take the focus off their shortcomings and put all the energy into the drama. They want the energy of that to suck everyone else into the vortex and to ignore the real issues.

If you do decide to start with yourself and focus on your healing, you may find yourself more estranged from family members. It was a price i was willing to pay, albeit a painful one.

megan