Sunday, May 12, 2013

On Walking Away


One of the harder struggles I have had in the past year is learning to just walk away. The reason for this is simple, I grew up being the one who had to fight for what I needed. I took abuse from my parents, siblings, classmates etc. because I would ask and fight for what I needed.

The problem is when you fight for everything, you get used to always fighting. You need to always have that win. You need to always have the last word.  That has been my life for the last 28 years.

I turned 29 years old last Sunday. I decided it was time for some major changes. I know I always say “I’m going to make major changes.” This time I really mean it.

Example, I did something tonight I would have never done even a month ago; I walked out on a bad person in my life. They accused me of a bunch of low ball things to illicit a reaction from me. It was like they had a book of things to trigger me and they used them all.  I didn’t fight them. I just walked away. As they came behind me and I asked if I was leaving the only words I said was “you made it clear you don’t care.”  I walked out the door. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I normally would stand my ground tell them how much of a liar they are. But I just walked out.

I am pretty proud of myself. I had a great day with my beer group and learned how to do all-grain brewing. It was unfair and disgusting of this person to act that way towards me at the very end of it. I should say it isn't the first time this person or someone like them has tried to show their selfishness by ruining a day because they could. For me, its a great amount of accomplishment that I could just walk away. 

No comments: